Not so shiny new MZ

Jo Even
Site Admin

Not so shiny new MZ

Post by Jo Even »

Look what arrived in the mail today :) And yes, this is how it was packed. No padding of any sort inside. The fact that nothing was broken in shipping is a testament to the Sharp build quality.
new mz731.jpg
Fortunately it looked a lot better inside. Don't know what's working or not yet, as I want to check the PSU before I turn it on. My other 700 still has the distinct smell of Magic Smoke from the exploding capacitor in the PSU :D

I hope the plotter works, as this is my first 731. I wanted one so badly in the early 80's but it was too expensive for my parents. The paper roll holders are broken so I will have to 3D-print a new set.
Jo Even
Site Admin

Re: Not so shiny new MZ

Post by Jo Even »

Btw it has a Swedish character ROM. I guess I should dump it, could not find it on sharpmz.org.
MooZ

Post by MooZ »

Nice catch!
I didn't known Sharp went that far into localization.
Maybe mine has a French character ROM :)
hlide

Post by hlide »

I really doubt there is French ROM if you don't have an Azerty keyboard to start. So far as I remember there were no French ROMs.

Je doute réellement...
MooZ

Post by MooZ »

It's a qwerty keyboard. Damn...
Jo Even
Site Admin

Post by Jo Even »

And this is how it looks after a "bit" of cleaning.
MZ731 - cleaned.jpg
I'm quite pleased with it, the tape recorder is working properly and the plotter does things when the buttons are pressed so I hope it's working. "Just" need to find pens and paper for it... And I really should get a new F5, but not sure how realistic that is. Anyone have a spare (broken!) keyboard for sale?
hlide

Post by hlide »

Is it your first MZ-700? or did you own at least an MZ-700 until you bought this one?
Jo Even
Site Admin

Post by Jo Even »

This is my third 700, but my first 731.
MooZ

Post by MooZ »

Maybe you could 3d-print the missing key.
Jo Even
Site Admin

Post by Jo Even »

Yes, that's an option if I can't find a replacement. However, you never get the subtle details right so it won't look very good.