MZ-700 + MZ-1U06 Help needed

JihemB

MZ-700 + MZ-1U06 Help needed

Post by JihemB »

Hi there.

I'm currently restoring a MZ-700 computer I won in an eBay auction.
Since the computer emited smoke, I had to change the paper filtering capacitor on the PSU to make it work again...

The MZ-700 came with a MZ-1U06 expansion hardware but without any documentation.
The MZ-1U06 contains 2 daughter boards (sorry I can't attach 2 files in this post, else the second vanishes !), one is MZ-1E19 but I can not identify what is the second board.
Unknown_MZ_Board.JPG
As you can see on pictures, the second board was modded with a switch fitted on it. The 1U06 case has a sticker which explains the 2 positions of the switch : Left is "MZ-2Z009" and right is "K&P".

Can you help me understand the usage of this board and its switch position ?

Suppose I want to connect a HxC device as a disc drive to the MZ-700, do I have the required interfaces to do so ?

Thanks in advance.

JihemB, French 8 bits computer fan.
UncleBod

Re: MZ-700 + MZ-1U06 Help needed

Post by UncleBod »

So far no luck on the net. A bit strange if it doesn't have a Sharp part number on.
Due to the marking on the ROM and the switch I'd guess it is a FD interface.
A dump of the ROM might help to identify it if everything else fails.
It could of cause be a pre series board or a board that isn't for the MZ-700 initially.

/UncelBod
hlide

Post by hlide »

The first card (MZ-1F19) is for interfacing an MZ-1F11 quick disc drive on an MZ-700: https://web.archive.org/web/20150926202 ... d/1e19.pdf.

The second card seems to be an MZ-1E05 for interfacing a floppy disk drive. The ROM seems to be modded to get two different ROM contents.
1) MZ-2Z009:
Floppy disk drive control ROM
If the DISK BASIC controls the floppy disk drive (MZ-1F02), connect the ROM chip
(see below) which is packed together with the DISK BASIC to the socket of the
floppy disk interface (MZ-IEOS: optional). If this ROM is not connected to the floppy
disk interface, the floppy disk drive cannot be controlled.
En d'autre terme, cette ROM de base est nécessaire pour fonctionner avec le MZ-700.

2) K&P: https://web.archive.org/web/20170831235 ... basics.htm. En d'autre terme, c'est une alternative.

Soit dit en passant tu n'es pas le seul SHARPENTIER français ici : j'en connais deux en plus de moi et toi maintenant. :D
hlide

Post by hlide »

Maybe something relative to MZ-1E05: https://sharpmz.no/forum/viewtopic.php? ... 0334ba95d1
JihemB

Post by JihemB »

Hi.

Thanks to all of you for your contributions.
So if I understand well, I am equiped to address both Quick Disc Drive and "standard" floppy drive, right ?
OK so now what are my options to feed my MZ-700 with programs ?
I don't think I'm going to browse the web to find a second hand Quick Disc Drive with a set of disks...

I mentionned HxC in my post. Is there a way to make a cable to connect this board to a 34 pin floppy disk connector, supposing it exists somewhere MZ-700 floppy images...

BTW : I also have a MZ-800, perhaps I can put the board in it if it can be more advantageous ?

@hlide
Soit dit en passant tu n'es pas le seul SHARPENTIER français ici
"SHARPENTIER" :D :D Pas mal comme jeu de mot.
On se connait, c'est avec moi que tu as échangé sur le forum français concernant le câble PERITEL (en cours de réalisation maintenant que j'ai les prises).
hlide

Post by hlide »

En fait, c'est en référence au club des SHARPENTIERS: il y avait un club à l'époque avec des magazines de ce nom.

Be aware that those cards are adapted for MZ-700. I believe MZ-800 uses another card without the need of the I/O expansion. Moreover, it seems MZ-800 has a ROM already fitted to handle QDisk: this link uses that fact to emulate QDD with an Arduino MEGA and an SD card reader.

A QDD is in a bid here but the price is escalating.

As for floppy disk, you need an MZ-1F02. Maybe the K&P version allows other floppy disk drives but reading this link is not making me confident about the possibility without modding.
UncleBod

Post by UncleBod »

hlide wrote: Mon Oct 01, 2018 8:42 pm The second card seems to be an MZ-1E05 for interfacing a floppy disk drive. The ROM seems to be modded to get two different ROM contents.
The strange thing is that neither the layout nor the amount of chips on the board fits with the pictures I've found of MZ-1E05, and one of the pictures is from https://original.sharpmz.org/mz-700/dow ... _sm_gb.pdf, which is the official service manual.
That, and the fact that it is marked with a Sharp logo, but no visible part number near the logo, get's me to think it might be a prototype board. It could also be a non Sharp board that got marked with the logo anyway.

Since the connector seems to be the normal Sharp FD connector I would guess it will work with a Sharp disk drive.

I would guess that the switch changes pin 21 (4 from top on the right side of the EPROM )between 5v and ground.
In that case it is a s hilde wrote, a way to choose between two different programs.
/UncleBod
Ahh, those were the days. electronics was big enough to work with and my eyesight was good enough to see what I did.

//Sorry wrote wrong pin number---Too long since I handled EPROMs it seems.
Last edited by UncleBod on Tue Oct 02, 2018 7:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
hlide

Post by hlide »

https://web.archive.org/web/20150926202 ... 009man.pdf
MZ_IU06.png
MZ_IU06.png (65.91 KiB) Viewed 12473 times
MZ-1E05.png
MZ-1E05.png (199.6 KiB) Viewed 12473 times
hlide

Post by hlide »

I'm not sure it is a prototype. They may be two revisions of the MZ-1E05 with a different layout.
Martin8bity

Post by Martin8bity »

It is MZ-80AFI floppy disk interface. It is a predecessor of MZ-1E05. It looks like it has dual ROM adapted for MZ-700.

https://original.sharpmz.org/mz-80a/dow ... i_diag.pdf
Martin's 8-bit blog
www.8bity.cz