MZ-80b FI/O to HxC Cable

psmart

Re: MZ-80b FI/O to HxC Cable

Post by psmart »

Good news :)

I splashed out on a Gotek for my MZ-2000 (having loads of issues with the HxC recently which randomly stops working for days on end!!!) and the Gotek works fine, very impressed.

The config files I have are as follows:
IMG.CFG
[default]
cyls = 40
heads = 2
secs = 16
bps = 256
id = 1
mode = fm
interleave = 1
cskew = 0
hskew = 0
rpm = 300
gap3 = 0
iam = yes
rate = 250
file-layout = sequential

FF.CFG
interface = shugart
host = MSX
pin02 = auto
pin34 = auto
track-change = instant
write-drain = realtime
head-settle-ms = 1
motor-delay = 5
chgrst = delay-5
display-off-secs = 255
step-volume = 20

and I converted the disk images from D88 to Amstrad DSK format as it wouldnt read D88 disks. The Gotek has FlashFloppy v3.28 on it. I dont think the IMG.CFG file is used as the DSK format contains the correct information.

The MZ-2000 reads the MZ-80B disks but cant boot them fully due to hardware differences (ie. GRAM etc). Try downloading the pack of 38 disks from the original.sharpmz.org website and see if any of the others work.
Sharp MZ/X Series Projects and FPGA Emulator
engineers@work : https://eaw.app/sharpmz-series/
dat-alex

Post by dat-alex »

Thanks for the infos :)

I will make some 'homework' and I will return with the results.

*UPDATE*
Well I've made some tests with the same results . Excepts ONE disk from 38 all the others starts loading with freezing at boot...(!)
I suspect 64K ram memory problem.

I run this MZ80 emulator and tried to boot some disks images and had the same results with no 64k expansion option.
So I focus on 32k expansion pcb. I have to check! :roll:

(I wonder if I can run a basic program to check upper 32k RAM expansion board)
member of retroclub.gr (Thessaloniki , Greece)
Antxiko

Post by Antxiko »

Hi everyone!

I´m a new user of a Sharp MZ-80B, the computer had de powerbrick dead (primary transformer in short) and I replaced all the power supply with a modern meanwell power supply, now the power works like a charm. I recapped the monitor board too, have been difficult to buy a 10uf/25V unpolarized one of the Sync line, but now that works perfect too.

I have been trying to load things in the computer, I can load TAPE BASIC from a WAV without any problem, but the only game that I have in WAV (GALAXTICA) hangs when it finish loading, maybe I need to recap the tape board too, thats my next thing in the schedule. BUT, I have the computer with a floppy controller (SHARP E0054PA) and a Parallel board so I tried to make a IDC34 - DSUB37 cable and hook a Gotek to it (with flashfloppy 3.3).

I have used the FF.CFG & IMG.CFG from psmart message, right now when the computer starts I see that the gotek led blinks, and in the IPL, when I press F it ask me for drive number (1-4), I press 1 and again the computer access de gotek (the led lights) and then, without any error, goes again to the IPL menu asking for F for floppy or C for cassette. I´m trying with the 38 disks compendium from the downloads, I try it with the first one that in theory have CP/M, but always with the same result, it returns to IPL after accessing the gotek. I tryed to convert the .DSK to HFE with de SD floppy emulator software, but I have the same results.

Can someone, please, please, help me with this? I´m new in the sharp world, but this gotek worked perfect with a PC 2086, an Enterprise 64 and other computers... I see working here with HxC firmware, but I see no specific config for sharp 80B in flashfloppy github, only for MZ-700 QD drive.

Thanks in advance!

Antxiko.
arnuphis

Post by arnuphis »

What I/O card are you using? I could never get it to work with the Sharp MZ-80b one but with the card I got from Psmart it worked fine. I had the same issue as you. The light would come on then go off.
Antxiko

Post by Antxiko »

My 80B comes with a E0054PA, I don't see much info about it. I tried 3 different cable config with same results. Maybe @psmart have some spare controller in this days?

Thanks for the reply!