MZ-700 correct filter capacitors for PSU

hlide

Re: MZ-700 correct filter capacitors for PSU

Post by hlide »

Do not bridge the connections! Either you replace them with more modern caps like the ones in timh's last picture or you just remove the depleted ones but never ever ever connect them with conductive wires (that's what we would call a short circuit!).
WinstonSmith

Post by WinstonSmith »

I have them and the power supply is still open, so does it matter which way I orientated these capacitors because both legs are the same length?
Thanks
Winston
Pacman

Post by Pacman »

AC capacitors have no polarization: You can connect them in the direction you want.
In general, the inscription is easily visible.
tingo

Post by tingo »

hlide wrote: Tue Jun 07, 2022 10:49 pm
Ahem, fuses are for that. Those old caps due to their "paper" conception ALWAYS blow and catch fire after a decade, not because they are used as fuses.
Think again. This is defense in depth. Safety capacitors are both for EMI / RFI supression, and also to ensure that equipment fails in a safe way. Don't take my word for it, look it up if you will.
--
Torfinn
hlide

Post by hlide »

I think I was clear:
hlide wrote: Wed Jun 08, 2022 8:43 pm Either you replace them with more modern caps like the ones in timh's last picture or you just remove the depleted ones.
We had 220V and now we have 230-240V so most of those caps will blow quickly if you persist to use the paper ones anyway. If replacing, use 270V versions.